2024 Young Authors’ Conference, Books & Bots
This year P-H-M Education Foundation’s Young Authors’ Conference is partnering up with the Next Gen Robotics event to bring you Books & Bots! This event blends literary innovations with robotic creations. It’s a wonderful opportunity for P-H-M students in Kindergarten – 5th grade. Click here to view photos on Facebook from last year’s Young Authors’ Conference; click here to view photos of the 2023 Next Gen event.
The event will start at 9:15 a.m. in Penn’s Fitness Center. There will be the three rotations at three locations within Penn High School. Families and students will visit each station for 45 minutes, with a 15 minute break in between. The rotations will be an author visit, reader’s theater, and fun with the bots! Next Gen (the bots area) will be open until 1:00 p.m. Registered participants will receive a S’more with confirmation details the week of February 26. You and your student’s rotation schedule and starting location will be provided in the S’more. If you have any questions after receiving the email, please contact email@example.com.
Please enter Door D. Parking is available in the front of Penn, at Schmucker Middle School, and in the parking lot near River Valley Church. Click here to access a Penn Building Map. Once inside Penn, look for “Books and Bots” signage and please arrive at your room between 9:00-9:15 a.m. With record attendance expected, plan plenty of time to park and walk to your designated area.
Books & Bots is completely FREE! Thank you to the P-H-M Education Foundation and P-H-M Superintendent Dr. Jerry Thacker and his wife Donna Thacker for covering the cost of the YAC for the second year in a row from the proceeds of #GivingTuesday donations.
NEW THIS YEAR … both events will be held at Penn High School!
While the events are FREE, registration is required!
Registration is NOW OPEN! Click here to register today! Registration closes Friday, February 23.
One parent only must accompany students! Younger siblings may not accompany adults. Due to the planned activities and available space, this experience is for your young author and one parent.
As part of the morning activities, students will participate in two rotations: one with well-known children’s author and speaker, Carolyn Crimi; and the other with Jocelyn Dupuis. Following these rotations, students will enjoy spending time exploring technology, with an opportunity to share a piece of their piece of writing on a FlipGrid or online writing platform.
Thanks to Better World Books, parents can purchase ahead of time Carolyn Crimi books online and then bring them to the March 2 event. Click here to preorder your student(s) books.
As a way to support Better World Books’ mission of providing books to children around the world to do their part in achieving global literacy, a collection box will be set up near Penn’s Door D for families to donate their gently used books.
BACKGROUND ON CAROLYN CRIMI:
Carolyn Crimi enjoys snacking, pugs, Halloween, and writing, although not necessarily in that order. Over the years she has published 19 books for children, including Weird Little Robots, Secondhand Dogs, Don’t Need Friends, Henry and the Buccaneer Bunnies, Where’s My Mummy?, There Might Be Lobsters, and I Am The Boss of This Chair. When she’s not snacking, Carolyn enjoys giving author talks to elementary schools all over the country.
BACKGROUND ON JOCELYN DUPUIS:
Also as part of Young Authors’ Conference, participants and parents will also enjoy an interactive experience with P-H-M’s extraordinary Jocelyn Dupuis. Jocelyn has a passion for music education and the performing arts. As a music teacher, she has taught many students to enjoy music as well.
*Questions, please contact Candace Cussen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2024 Middle School Instrument Selection Night
Every P-H-M 5th grader who will be attending a P-H-M middle school as an incoming 6th grader in the Fall 2024 has the opportunity to join an instrumental music class, which includes either band or orchestra. “Instrument Selection Night” is when students and families get to make their choice!
Fifth graders at Moran Elementary School will either attend Schmucker or Grissom Middle School for 6th – 8th grades. Click here for the P-H-M School Boundary map.
Schmucker’s Instrument Selection Nights are Monday, March 4th and Tuesday, March 5th.
Grissom’s Instrument Selection Nights are Monday, March 11th and Tuesday, March 12th.
Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation is nationally recognized as one of the “Best Communities for Music Education” offering choir, band and orchestra at Schmucker, Discovery and Grissom Middle Schools.
At “Instrument Selection Night,” a music professional will be available to give students advice about which instrument may be best suited for them. They will be allowed to “try out” instruments from various instrument groups. Click here to download, view and print more information on Instrument Selection Night.
In order to join 6th grade band or orchestra, students must select an instrument that they will learn, practice and perform for the school year. Click this link to sign-up for your appointment at your designated school and date.
What Fans Need to Know Before Heading to Penn Homecoming Parade & Game
Friday, September 29 is Penn’s Homecoming Parade, Fun Zone, Food Trucks & the Penn football game versus St. Joe. The P-H-M Education Foundation is once again sponsoring all the fun and new this year–FIREWORKS after the football game!
The entire P-H-M community is invited to come out for this fun-filled family event. All the fun starts with the Homecoming Parade. Be sure to grab your spot on the route by 5:00 p.m. Parade starts at 5:30!
Here are some things that will be helpful for families as they head out for all the festivities.
- Paid Parking ($3 cash) at these lots:
- Penn High School (Front Lot & Jefferson Rd. Lot)
- Softball/Tennis Lot
- Bittersweet School Lot
- Free Parking at these lots:
- Soccer Lot (Bank Lot)
- Pennway Lot
- Schmucker Lot (front, Sides & in Back of School)
- 5-7:00 p.m.
- Penn Baseball Field
- Teacher Dunk Tanks, Jumpies for elementary students
- FREE for EVERYONE!
- Food Trucks:
- Ben’s Pretzels
- Keim’s Elephant Ears
- Kona Ice
- Prized Pig
- REAL Grille
- Rulli’s Pizza
- Fans will be allowed to take food purchased at the Food Trucks into the stadium. However, no other outside food will be allowed!
Gate & Ticket Info:
- Penn vs. St, Joe, Kickoff is 7:30 p.m.
- P-H-M students K – 5th grade get in FREE with paying adult!
- Tickets are on sale now-Thurs., Sept. 28 online, ticket price is $6 (students & all other age groups same price)
- Tickets on Friday, Sept. 29 are $7 (online or at the gate)
- PHM Employees plus one guest get in FREE, but you must have ID badge & the guest must be with the employee
- Please remember middle schoolers cannot be dropped off unsupervised. Once in the game, the students are free to walk around. At least one responsible adult must be onsite.
- Tickets are sold at the North & South gates only!
- Penn All Sports Passes and tickets (hard & online) are accepted at all gates
- The Center Gate is reserved for Penn All Sports Passes and online ticket holders only
- No Reentry!
- Click to download and red the Lost Child Policy
- Please utilize crosswalks when crossing Bittersweet Road after the parade
Rules to Remember:
- No reentry to Everwise Field; once you leave, you are not allowed back in.
- No outside food or beverages, no insulated cups
- No backpacks
- Diaper bags & large women’s purses are allowed
- Penn does not have a clear bag policy
- No electronic noise makers
- No Footballs or Beach Balls
- No weapons of any kind
- No alcohol
- No Smoking/Vaping products of any kind. All PHM school property is smoke free.
- No open flames at private tailgating